|Involver.com is an online video marketing platform that allows brands to build, promote, manage, and track video campaigns on social networks for targeted audiences. The platform is powered by Ruby-on-Rails, JRuby 1.1.6, and GlassFish v2 UR2.|
Why not “pack of mongrels” ?
this deployment strategy wasn’t an efficient use of resources, both human and machine. So we started to look at alternative solutions.
JRuby was chosen because
impressive strides the JRuby team was making with Rails compatibility
possibilities of integrating with Java.
the runtime pooling feature of JRuby would enable an elastic cluster of Rails environments, which meant we would only have the overhead of a full cluster during periods of high traffic
GlassFish was chosen over Tomcat and JBoss because
project was sponsored commercially by Sun & that the core team had a well-defined public roadmap and release cycle
high degree of community overlap between the JRuby & GlassFish projects
there were experts at the intersections of these tools
GlassFish Admin console played a large role as it shielded us from managing verbose XML configuration files
Read the detailed questionnaire here.
Learn more about Involver in this 4-part @scobleizer interview session:
Read other similar stories powered by JRuby/Rails/GlassFish.
- GlassFish + JRuby + JRuby-Rack + Warbler = Blog Deployment Platform
- Mahaswami Software enjoys the “perfect marriage” of JRuby + Rails + GlassFish
- JRuby-on-Rails deployed on GlassFish – Success Story
- JRuby, Rails, and GlassFish – “Easiest Rails stack in the world”!!!
- Rails on GlassFish – “most performant of all”, “simpler and just works”, “blazing speed”